Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Flashes


Not those kind of flashes! 

When you die - or are close to death you hear talk of your entire life flashing before your eyes. 

I wonder what (Mom) Morningstar's last thoughts were...

One of the things that they don't tell you however is that after someone you love dies, that you have flashes. Flashes of their life spent with you, stories that they told about times you weren't with them, and flashes of a future without them. 

Since Morningstar's death I have been having flashes of memories:

  • Working with her at the school and a conversation we had in the kitchen while I was making snacks for the kids
  • A tattoo that she went with me to get after my divorce and how we laughed and laughed 
  • Her giddy gleeful laugh when she was decorating my trailer site for my wedding to my current husband
  • Her love for Sir Steve and the "little one" (who is really not very little anymore)
  • Me doing a quick walk across the trailer lots because I had a tick bite and I needed my Mom to look at it and make sure that there was no more bug bits left inside me (barf)
  • Being sick as a child and having her take care of me 
  • Mom being sick in hospital with her gallbladder and I would sit in the chair in her room and read while she slept
  • The squirrel saga 
  • My dog Spike jumping into her face to love her ... multiple times
  • Diesel, the rescued beagle/jack russell who didn't like many people jumping into her lap and cuddling in and falling asleep
  • Granny fussing over Willow (dog) being cold at the campfire and making me go get her a blanket
  • Her making jokes with my "straight laced" husband and how "he was her favourite child"
  • Fights that we had
  • Her smell when she hugged me
  • and so many more memories...
I can still hear her voice in my head - and I miss her every second.



4 comments:

  1. You already have some great memories and I know more and more will keep flooding in. The memories of her illness will fade into the background. I lost my mom nineteen years ago this month. That's impossible to believe. But wonderful little memories still come to mind nearly daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful memories of your Mom, reading these made me smile:) we lost our Mum 5 years ago. I miss her every day but have wonderful memories.

    I have experienced my life flashing before my eye once. It was years ago in my youth. My boyfriend at the time and I had an extremely close call with a truck on the road. I was so convinced we weren't going to get out of it and everything suddenly happened in slow motion. Thanks to the reaction and skill of my boyfriend plus delayed reaction from the truck driver collision avoided. The flash was truly strange and I have sometimes wished I could recall some of those memories now lol

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to find it strange, how the good and the bad memories, of someone gone, seem to mix together. But now I think that it is because they are memories of someone who is still real, in my mind, rather than just the idea of a person.

    Prefectdt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to meet you Dae. Lovely reading your memories of MS. She was always the first one to check in on me when I disappeared from commenting or stopped writing for a spell, always writing me an email to ask if everything was ok.

    Sadly I didn't have a lot of time to interact with her at the end cos i was dealing with my own mum's issues... but I'm glad I was able to at least read her updates.

    Do continue to share your memories of her with us.

    ReplyDelete

Sensory Overload or Company Holiday Parties

This weekend in addition to a major assignment, there was also the company Holiday party.  No big deal right? The plan was to go, have some ...