Friday, September 2, 2022

Morningstar’s favourite child

So there has been a running joke in my family since my sister and I have been adults about who Mom loved most. We would joke when Mom did something nice for the other person that she “loved them more”. 

As I got older, and essentially moved across the street from Mom for 5 months of the year (at the campground), I spent a lot of time with Mom, and Sir Steve. We (my husband and I) were invited to most of the events that happened for 5 months of the year at the trailer. Then we tried to see each other at least once a month for the other 7 months when we weren’t camping, because it felt weird not seeing them every week. 

Because of this, my sister would jokingly say “Mom loves YOU more” - I didn’t argue about it, even though I knew Mom loved us both equally. I just got to spend more time with Mom in the last 5 years of her life, which kinda made up for the 5 years we didn’t talk at all. 

One Christmas she gave my sister and I each a picture that said “I love you most” - except mine said “I love you mostest” so there was a lot of laughter that Christmas. Since then it was a family “joke” that I was the favourite.




However I came to learn after Mom got sick that her actual favourite was not me - it was my husband Rob. 

When Mom went into hospital the first time she was allowed one visitor a day. Generally that was Sir Steve or myself that would go. But my sister and Morningstar’s brother went to see her - on those days we were not able to visit (COVID protocols). I felt lucky that we were able to go at all, so I didn’t complain. Rob would drive me to the hospital with the dogs and I would go and see Mom, and he would take the “monsters” for a long walk.

When Mom went home we went to visit her on Saturday mornings after golf. We would go golfing in the early morning, visit for an hour after that, and then get lunch and go back to the trailer (campground) where we spend our summers. Rob and I would sit with her in the living room and chat about, life, the universe and everything. Mom enjoyed those times with us I am sure. We would also bring treats! Like chocolate she liked, or lemon danishes (her favourite). 

The second time that Mom was in hospital there could be two people at a time. I asked if Mom if it was ok if Rob came to visit too! That’s when I heard her voice perk up “Yes, I would like that a lot”. I smiled, I knew that they had a special bond, but it was at that moment I suspected that he was her “actual favourite.” Over the week she was in hospital we went to see her every night after work, and Rob would “fluff her pillows” - or more like try and help place the “pillows” or what passes for pillows in the hospital to allow for maximum comfort. One day I was trying to help her place the pillows and I was failing miserably. That’s when Rob stepped in and placed the pillows correctly. She BEAMED when he got it just right. She even declared that Rob was the best “fluffer” and “pillow placer” - and I said “That’s why he’s your favourite” and she just smiled. From then on Rob was responsible for the placement of her pillows - and I was dethroned as the “favourite child”. 


3 comments:

  1. She did mention SIL a lot in her posts. That is how I found out that your husband and I have a shared love of Jellybeans.

    Prefectdt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Dea, such lovely memories. Yes, your Mom did mention Rob a bit. I used to enjoy reading about your summer camps together.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your mother dearly, even though we had lost contact. I would return to her blog to see how see was doing, and only reached out when she announced what was going on. I am loving seeing your posts - they've made laugh and cry. I have lost both of my parents now, and feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete

Sensory Overload or Company Holiday Parties

This weekend in addition to a major assignment, there was also the company Holiday party.  No big deal right? The plan was to go, have some ...